Staying healthy this winter and during the flu season can be a challenge, especially when people around you are sick. And as athletes, being sick can sometimes mean being away from the things we enjoy so much, like swimming, cycling, and running.
Here are some tips to help you stay healthy this winter.
Tips for maintaining a healthy life:
- Eat a healthy diet that includes a variety of foods, plenty of fruits and vegetables, and quality ingredients.
- Stay hydrated.
- If you drink alcohol, drink in moderation.
- Exercise consistently and train smart.
- Get outside for some fresh air.
- Stay in touch with family and friends.
- Get involved with your community or groups.
- Have a hobby and do something that makes you happy.
- Manage stress.
- Get enough quality sleep.
- Get yearly check ups.
Staying healthy when someone around you is sick:
- Regularly wash your hands with soap and water. Hand sanitizer can be used if you’re in a pinch, but soap and water work best.
- If you use hand sanitizer, don’t be cheap. Use enough to cover your whole hand, including the front, back, and fingers.
- Don’t touch your face before washing your hands.
- Don’t share items like cups, glasses, or utensils.
- Clean any items you share or items that others touch, like towels, steering wheels, doorknobs, or telephones.
- Get some fresh air and open the windows to get the air circulating.
If you’re sick, prevent others from getting sick:
- Cover your coughs and sneezes.
- Regularly wash your hands with soap and water.
- Don’t touch shared items without washing your hands first, especially after sneezing, coughing, or blowing your nose.
- Clean items that you have touched to prevent others from picking up those germs.
Wash your hands the right way:
Think a quick rinse with water is enough to get rid of germs? Or are you just getting soap on the tips of your fingers? The best way to prevent from getting sick or to prevent spreading germs is to thoroughly wash your hands. And while you certainly don’t need to perform an OR-worthy scrub to keep clean, there is a right way to clean your hands.
- Use plenty of soap and water.
- Scrub your palms, back of your hands, and between your fingers.
- Suds up for at least 20 seconds.