Today is St. Valentine’s Day and it’s also American Heart Month. So it’s a great time to discuss heart health! But how can athletes keep their hearts healthy? It’s more than just going out for a run and eating a salad.
For better heart health, you’ll need to train smart and eat to support your active lifestyle. Here are some ways you can do that:
- Follow a well constructed, periodized plan. See how we can help!
- Don’t “cram” for a race. Plan your training out to give your self time to build up mileage rather than pushing through some last minute long runs a few weeks before a big race.
- Include rest and recovery in your training. Recovery days are needed to absorb all the hard work you’ve been putting in.
- Include strength training in your plan. Strong muscles support you in all the things you like to do.
- Listen to your body and don’t ignore symptoms. If something doesn’t feel right, get it checked out.
- Reduce stress and negative emotions.
- Enjoy your food, but remember to eat to support your training. Workouts aren’t an excuse to be able to eat dessert all day, every day.
- Eat to stabilize your blood sugar so that you can prevent disease and promote longterm health.
- Remember that it’s not about pushing to 100% all the time, your training needs to have the right intensities at the right times. This includes easy workouts, too.