If you travel often or have a busy day running around between meetings or errands, finding last minute healthy eating options can be very difficult. And it might be tempting to just grab the first thing you see at a local convenience store you pass. But with some thought and planning beforehand, healthier eating while on the go is possible and can make your day go by smoother. Especially when you don’t have to worry about being hangry.
Follow these tips for healthier eating on the go:
- If you know you’re going to have a busy day, start planning the night before or that morning. A calm mind makes better choices than a rushed and hungry one.
- Stash portable foods in your briefcase or tote. This can be either a more “rugged” food that can withstand half a day in your bag or something you can put in a small container and easily tuck away in your bag.
- Remember to eat protein. If you consume only carbs, it will effect both your health and satiety.
- Try these options: fresh fruit or cut-up veggies with cottage cheese, peanut butter, yogurt or ricotta, peanut butter and crackers, nuts, hard boiled eggs, a protein shake.
- Some bars or packaged snack might be good to eat, but be sure to read the ingredients and nutrition first.
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated. It can be easy to forget to drink when your busy all day.