New to running?
Follow these tips for beginner runners.
With the warmer weather and longer daylight hours, now’s a great time to take your exercise routine outdoors. For those of you looking for a fun way to get fit and enjoy the outdoor scenery, consider adding running to your exercise routine. These 10 quick tips for beginner runners will get you started on the right foot.
Running’s popularity is due in part to its low cost and the ease of being able to run almost anyway. There’s no need for expensive equipment or special locations to run. Whether you’re at home or traveling for work, all you need are running shoes, clothes, and a trail or sidewalk.
What often starts as convenient way to slim down and improve health, can lead to a lifelong enjoyment of the sport. So what are some ways to get started and keep going?
- Get proper fitting & comfortable running shoes.
- Layer your clothing so you can run comfortably in changing weather.
- Don’t do too much, too soon. Increasing your mileage too quickly can lead to injury.
- Not all workouts have to be hard workouts. Variety is important.
- Not all runners run a marathon. Some prefer 5ks and 10ks. Find the distance that you love.
- Warm-up with a dynamic warm up for 5 to 10 min before your run to prevent injury and save the static stretching for after your workouts.
- Nutrition is important. Stay hydrated throughout the day and make healthy food choices.
- Running is great, but don’t forget to include cross training and strength training so that your body is balanced.
- Take a rest day every week.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Your fellow runners and your favorite coach are here to help.